No eggs, no oil, no dairy. At first blush it would appear that this banana bread won’t taste very good, but it is in fact yummy. I went searching for an egg-free recipe not because I’m vegan, but because I’m allergic to eggs. After several batches, I’ve come up with the version that gets eaten up fast around my house.
- 2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to a whole teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup almond milk at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar (coconut or cane)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1//2 chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- You can also add 1/2 cup chopped dried figs (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or rub cooking spray into mini pans using a paper towel.
- Pour almond milk into a measuring cup and add the cider vinegar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In a second bowl mash bananas and add to them applesauce, sugar, vanilla, and almond milk mixture. Stir to mix well.
- Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients. Stir with a silicone spatula until just mixed and no more flour is visible. Don’t beat this up too much.
- Fold in dried figs, nuts and chocolate if using.
- Pour batter into prepared pans.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes until toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf or loaves comes out clean.
- Yields 1 standard loaf or 6 mini loaves